Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Organic vs. Inorganic

This is a departure from my usual, but life is big and whole, and there are no compartments. Everything informs everything else. And health is a HUGE part of everything-- what's going on in our bodies, how much energy we have, even our emotionalism. There's also lots of speculation and research about how even our food can poison us. I like the idea of eating organic, but organic gets expensive, and I will often grab whatever fruit and vegetable looks good and healthy-- even if it is laden with invisible pesticides.

I ran into this information by Andrew Weil, and found it helpful. I put it on my fridge.

This is what Dr. Andrew Weil had to say about choosing organic in his "Daily Tips" blog:
"I encourage everyone to enjoy these fruits and vegetables in organic or conventionally grown form:
   Avocados
   Sweet corn
   Pineapples
   Cabbage
   Sweet peas (frozen)
   Onions
   Asparagus
   Mangoes
   Papayas
   Kiwi
   Eggplant
   Grapefruit
   Cantaloupe (domestic)
   Cauliflower
Sweet potatoes

According to EWG, common growing practices make the crops listed below the most likely to contain higher pesticide residues:
   Apples
   Strawberries
   Grapes
   Celery
   Peaches
   Spinach
   Sweet bell peppers
   Nectarines (imported)
   Cucumbers
   Cherry tomatoes
   Snap peas (imported)
   Potatoes

Plus these which may contain organophosphate insecticides, which EWG characterizes as "highly toxic" and of special concern:
   Hot peppers

   Blueberries (domestic)"

So, this takes some of the mystery out of making some organic vs. inorganic choices. I happen to love Dr. Weil. And now, he's saving me money!

Didn't read Salt in the Sugar Bowl yet? Order your copy today!  

And check my website for upcoming events.




No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing from you.