Friday, January 11, 2013

Slow recovery of an introvert destroyed by the holiday frenzy

I am an introvert. The holiday season DESTROYS me. God almighty, it's supposed to be the season of all kinds of wonderful cheer and all that, but I swear it takes everything out of me. I am just now peeking out from under all the food and lights and feverish nonstop activity. All that giving and celebrating and merry-making takes the front seat, and real life hangs in the shadows waiting to overwhelm me when it's all over. For those of you who have the same experience that I do, this is what brought me back:

- talking as little as possible because sometimes words are like a buzzing in the brain. Be quiet. Let others talk . And more importantly, don't think too much about what they're saying. Your nervous system can't handle it.
- vegging out in front of the TV for a couple of movies. I'm not a TV watcher, but a good movie takes me into a zone where my body melts into the sofa and I start to recuperate
- losing myself in music so my brain stops thinking about how much stuff I have to get done
- going to bed really early-- like 8 o'clock. (If you have little ones, put them to bed early as well, so you can have some me time.)

If you think of other things, please add them. I'm feeling much better now, but it was tough going for a few days. I feel like I'm starting my life over again.

Happy New Year!

Heads Up Readers!
My novella, Salt in the Sugar Bowl is available from Main Street Rag Publishing Company! Preorder on http://www.mainstreetrag.com

It's now $10 plus S/H


3 comments:

  1. The gym helps me. My body wants to take over and allow my mind to rest...just doing things that are mechanical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes sense to me! I got out and walked today and it felt so good I could have cried. Thanks for the editorial tip. I'm always appreciative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget the Echinacea; it always helps me fight the battle!:)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts? I look forward to hearing from you.